About First Baptist Church
Reverend Dr. Harold N. Brooks, Jr. | Pastor
Pastor's Welcome Message
The promises of God are "yea and amen." At First Baptist, we are honored to serve our faithful Savior with gladness. Many people are searching for an agent of change. No one fits the bill any better than Christ Jesus.
He has called us to serve and not be served. We believe that your season of frustration and futility is coming to an end. Join us, as together we step from the oppresssive bondage of worldliness to the liverating experience of salvation. Don't settle for membership! Seek genuine discipleship along with your First Baptist Church!
To see people saved, healed, discipled and serving both church and community. Luke 4:18-19
“A Sanctuary in the Heart of South East; With a Heart to Serve.”
The Reverend Dr. Harold Nathaniel Brooks, Jr., is a native of Washington, D.C. and an honor graduate of Howard University, where he received a B.A. degree in Communications, a Master of Divinity and a Doctor of Ministry Degree from Virginia Union University Samuel Dewitt Proctor School of Theology.
On December 11, 2004 Pastor Brooks accepted the call to pastor First Baptist Church of Minnesota Avenue in Washington, D.C. God has given the Pastor the vision to unite the Church through Christian Education, Spiritual Elevation, Financial Emancipation and Doubt Eradication and is supported by the Scriptures in Hebrews 11:10:
“A Church looking forward to the city with foundations whose architect and builder is God.”
Under his pastorate many works have been accomplished through God’s vision to him:
- Many have accepted Christ.
- The Church website has been enhanced.
- The weekly Bible Studies (noon day and evenings) have grown. The life applications from “The Purpose Driven Life” and “The Pursuit of Holiness “have been completed. The current foundation for the weekly Bible Study lessons is the book of Romans.
- The Youth Ministry has been revived with numerous activities, including ‘Friday Night Live” where a worship service is held along with time to fellowship through games and Christian fun.
- The United Planning Organization Senior Life Center has been established to meet the growing nutrition and social needs of senior citizens ages 60 and older living in Wards 7 and 8.
- Pin Points Theater After School Program was established to provide a safe and caring environment for youth ages 10-18.
- A Deacon’s Family Ministry Plan has been established to provide better care to the congregants of the Church.
- An interdenominational partnership has been established with other Southeast Churches to address the spiritual and social issues confronting the residents of Ward Seven.
- We have strengthened our Kimball Elementary School partnership to include a male mentoring component.
- The Sound System and Media Ministry have been enhanced. The services are recorded on Compact Disc.
- The Church was awarded The Presidential Citation by the Greater North Louisiana Community Development Corporation in recognition and appreciation of our contribution to the Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief effort.
- Three members of the Diaconate accepted the call to be set apart to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and were licensed. One other Minister was ordained. Another two church members were trained and ordained as Deacons. For the first time in the Church’s history a Junior Deacons Ministry has been established, and three young people have completed training and were consecrated in March 2007.
He is the son of Harold Nathaniel, Sr. and Marian Louise Brooks. He is happily married to Sis. LaTanya Thomas Brooks and they have four children KiAnna Marie, Jazmyne N’Dae, Harold III and Indya Grace.
Pastor Brooks is also a member of The Federal Bureau of Investigations’ Faith Based Initiative, Kingdom Association of Covenant Pastors (KACP), the NAACP, the Progressive National Convention, Howard University Bible Institute for Social Change and the Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and currently serves on the Scholarship Committee of the Rho Zeta Sigma Chapter.